It’s not uncommon for a DNA ethnicity test to come back with a surprise. However, I might have underestimated how surprising my mom’s results were.

It’s been about nine months since my mom’s Ancestry DNA test results came back. I highly recommend the test, by the way. I have found so many cousins, along with a wealth of knowledge, photos, and confirmation.

I have my mom’s family tree fleshed out except for the parents of her great-great-grandmother. Besides that, I can tell you we are European. Everything I’ve found points to England, Ireland, Scotland, France, and Germany. Here are her results:


1% Asia South (India) and 2% Caucasus (Armenia, Turkey, etc.) puzzled me. I am just now diving into those results to learn more about these trace amounts. For reference, here is how much DNA you inherit from your grandparents:

YOU 100%
Parents 50%
Grandparents 25%
Great-grandparents 12.50%
Gr-Gr-Grandparents (2) 6.25%
Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandparents (3) 3.125%
Gr-Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandparents (4)  1.56%
Gr-Gr-Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandparents (5)  .78%

You don’t typically get EXACTLY 3.125% from each third great-grandparent. DNA is random, and splits randomly in each generation. You could possibly get only 1% or a different percentage. It’s tricky.

I also am not a DNA wiz by any means. My first thought was maybe this was in error…a fluke. I used, which is a free tool that you can upload your raw DNA file to. It has many different “admixture” heritage generators. While each one produced different results, one thing was clear: my mom has some Asian DNA.

What I do not understand is where this came from. Judging by the chart above, I would *guess* one of her third great-grandparents would be almost full-blooded South/West Asian. Or perhaps some great-great-greats were part Asian and passed it down. 3% seems like it would be *far* back, *thousands* of years ago, but looking at the chart above, it doesn’t seem that way.

I posted in a AncestryDNA group on Facebook to get some opinions. I got a few surprising responses. People said this could indicate “gypsy” DNA. That was one thing I had not considered. After doing some research, South Asian DNA is prominent in Romani gypsies, not Irish Travellers. The Romani gypsies (forgive me if I don’t use the right terminology here) were ran out of India, and migrated through the West Asia/Caucasus region, and into Great Britain and other parts of the world. They were even in the USA by the 1700s. (More info at this link.)

Interesting. Somehow I still feel like I am grasping at straws, as the saying goes. Like I said before, I have researched my mom’s family tree fairly well. The only person I don’t know much about is her great-great-grandmother, Becky Ann Dial, and I don’t want to assign her a false heritage. I have viewed my mother’s Dial family matches on Ancestry, and while some have Caucasus DNA, they do not have South Asian. I have also viewed other close DNA matches, but cannot seem to find a common link for the 3% Asian DNA.

Maybe the Asian DNA came from multiple sources…but considering I know the history of most of branches, I don’t see how this is possible.

If you have any tips for me in my search for our Asian DNA origins, please contact me at


5 thoughts on “Puzzling DNA: European with Trace Amounts of Asian

  1. Hi , I also did a DNA heritage test and the results were 96.2% irish i expected this, the remaining 3.8% was broken down into 0.9% south asian and 2.9% west asian, no other european other than irish and i dont know of any asian connection, i am thinking could this be romany gypsy? Martin


  2. Hi,
    My DNA results are pretty much exactly the same to the results you posted above!

    I thought the S. Asian might be an error but when my Dad was tested he too had Ireland as his highest (with some extra DNA that didn’t show on mine) but also matched me with 5% Iberian and 1% South Asian.

    I have researched lots and it always comes back to ‘Gypsy DNA’ or ‘Ancient Gypsy’. Iberian I was told also plays a part and could link you to a settlement of Spanish Gypsies (as they fled to European Countries).

    I just thought it was interesting that we all had Irish DNA as well as South Asian!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s